May 06, 2024, 04:17:08 PM

Author Topic: Deltora Quest: The Seven Jewels Official Thread  (Read 20077 times)

Cass

• Del Citizen
Re: Deltora Quest: The Seven Jewels Official Thread
« Reply #30 on: January 08, 2013, 09:10:25 PM »
Oh, my! Well, I am glad you enjoyed this section of the game! A few elements that I felt were lost in The Guardian were a) Solving the puzzles before the candles shorted, b) His four 'pets', and the riddle that surrounded the nature of their names, and c) The Guardian passing himself off as King Endon. Though that last part might've been kept intact, the impact was lost because you were not actively solving the guardian's name (which is, if I remember, the main focus in the original book). Instead, the game took an approach that seemed similar to the Mirror of Fear saga in the anime (the 3 characters facing their fears). At least, it seemed that Lief was facing his fears (his family and friends forgetting him).

Something I can give the game credit for is giving most of the major characters and supporting characters a faceset (portrait when they speak). Unlike some games, which can only afford to give facesets to only the main cast.

« Last Edit: January 15, 2013, 05:06:25 PM by DQA »
Bish Bash Bosh!

DQA

• Toran Citizen
« Reply #31 on: January 10, 2013, 05:18:52 AM »
Oops! My internet has been down so I couldn't respond. And I can't respond now either. I'm going away for a couple of days, so sorry about that! I'll be sure to respond when I get back. In the meantime, I expect lot's of interesting posts from you (just kidding)(well, nevermind, you actually DID post).

:P
« Last Edit: January 14, 2013, 11:39:24 PM by DQA »

Cass

• Del Citizen
« Reply #32 on: January 13, 2013, 03:31:19 AM »
All righty. XP

I thought I might as well give my two cents on the final chapter, because I assume by the time you'll see this you will have already beaten it.

It definitely is the lengthiest of chapters. Although I couldn't tell you what they were saying, I could understand most of what was going on through context. I felt that the extended length was much more optimal, as I'd felt the previous chapters were a bit too short (because they cut so much out).

A few things that I noticed that could probably have been handled better:

There was no section that involved the trio accompanying Steven through that field of blood lillies (or some evil flowers, anyway). That would have been really cool if they had implemented some minigame/gameplay element where you could control Steven's carriage, or something. Overall, Nevets seemed to have been forgotten mostly.

I'm not sure if the Dreaming Spring was touched on, but I'm guessing they never kept any of the water? I mean, they didn't use it on Gellick either, so I assume it wasn't mentioned through dialogue. Anyway, DUE TO THAT, there was no scene involving Fallow/The Shadow Lord. Hell, I don't think the Shadow Lord even appeared AT ALL. I can only guess the essence of that scene was shown when Fallow appears in the fields (which seemed really out of place). Still, I think the lack of the Shadow Lord actually appearing didn't mix well with me.

Related to that, was Fallow like the main villain of the game, then? I assume he mentions the Shadow Lord at times, but it almost feels like the developers upgraded his role to more than just a mere lackey. Heck, he's prominently featured on the cover art (or that might be Prandine). The true final boss (which is absolute HELL, I should mention) was Fallow in a transformed state. Or was that meant to a physical incarnation of the Shadow Lord? Or was Fallow actually MEANT to be the Shadow Lord?

The ending scene felt touching, though I couldn't understand it. <3 I'm glad that they added a couple scenes after the big climax battle, as the original novel didn't.
Spoiler for :
I think, however, it would've been better if they visually expressed the fact that Doom was actually Jarred and Jarred was Endon (through flashbacks, or something).

Overall, I didn't mind the game. Some of it was silly (really happy fanfares in jarring moments/reusing music in unfitting places, random character animations), but I do think it tried. Oh, and if I remember correctly, there were 2/3 bonuses. The old man (I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT I'M MEANT TO DO THERE), a side quest involving a mansion and 2 original characters, and an after-ending special dungeon.

I assume that the fact that it's prefaced by 'last chapter' would be enough of an indication that there were spoilers, but no matter. C: Done and done.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2013, 05:08:34 PM by DQA »
Bish Bash Bosh!

DQA

• Toran Citizen
« Reply #33 on: January 15, 2013, 05:15:24 AM »
Well, I'm back! Aaand you might want to add some spoiler tags in some of your posts. There might be some new people who are unfamiliar with the ending!

Alright, now onto my verdict. This was by far the best chapter in terms of dialogue, gameplay and length. It kinda makes the rest of the game look below-par due to the overwhelming amount of content in this final chapter. Like always, though, there are some issues that require some nitpicking (not nearly as much as other chapters though). Oh wait, nevermind. You already covered everything I was going to say ;_;

I'm not sure if the Dreaming Spring was touched on, but I'm guessing they never kept any of the water?

Nope, I'm almost 100% sure they never kept any of the water.

Related to that, was Fallow like the main villain of the game, then?

It appears so.

I assume he mentions the Shadow Lord at times

Erm, unless I completely missed it (I did skip most of the dialogue), I'm fairly sure that the Shadow Lord was never mentioned.

The true final boss (which is absolute HELL, I should mention) was Fallow in a transformed state. Or was that meant to a physical incarnation of the Shadow Lord? Or was Fallow actually MEANT to be the Shadow Lord?

Oh, that last boss... It was the most frustratingly, hair pulling, nail-biting, confusing, most terrible, horrible thing to ever appear on planet Earth. Okay, maybe that's an exaggeration, but I spent HOURS trying to beat him/it. I didn't really know what to do. I tried attack the hands, but nothing happened. So, I worked out you needed to attack the face... It was the hardest boss in the game (by far!) but also the most satisfying to beat as well. Now, I'm almost certain that it's Fallow in a transformed state, but I could be wrong.

Spoiler for :
I think, however, it would've been better if they visually expressed the fact that Doom was actually Jarred and Jarred was Endon (through flashbacks, or something).

Well, it was represented through text, which would be enough for Japanese people to understand, but yeah, it would've been better if there was some visual spectacle too. (By the way, you probably need to put your comment in a spoiler tag as I mentioned at the beginning of the post).

The old man (I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT I'M MEANT TO DO THERE)

I could probably help... except I'm stuck on the ending screen. I'm not entirely sure what to do:

And while we're talking about the ending:

Spoiler for :
I thought the message for Emily Rodda (or should I call her Jennifer Rowe?) was a very nice addition. One of the only parts of the game where there's a huge amount of English.

And I know this is completely off topic, but you still need to fix that purple on page 2 ;P

Cass

• Del Citizen
« Reply #34 on: January 15, 2013, 07:36:40 AM »
Though I'd assume the Shadow Lord was overarching villain of the game though, right? I think you're required to shut off the game once you come to that screen. It's sort of like the first Paper Mario.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2013, 05:04:41 PM by DQA »
Bish Bash Bosh!

DQA

• Toran Citizen
« Reply #35 on: January 15, 2013, 05:11:19 PM »
I assume that the fact that it's prefaced by 'last chapter' would be enough of an indication that there were spoilers, but no matter. C: Done and done.

Oh, I was talking more about the Endon/Jarred spoiler. But don't worry. I've gone ahead and edited your posts.

I think you're required to shut off the game once you come to that screen.

Hmm, didn't seem to work. Just starts me off midway through the final chapter...

Cass

• Del Citizen
« Reply #36 on: January 15, 2013, 07:23:02 PM »
Yes, that's how it goes I believe. The game doesn't have an 'end mode', I think. I think if you just exit back to the over world, the extra dungeon becomes open.

Oh, and thank you. C:
Bish Bash Bosh!

DQA

• Toran Citizen
« Reply #37 on: January 17, 2013, 04:32:43 AM »
Yes, that's how it goes I believe. The game doesn't have an 'end mode', I think. I think if you just exit back to the over world, the extra dungeon becomes open.:

Oh, so that's how it works. Alright, thanks!!

The old man (I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT I'M MEANT TO DO THERE)

Okay, so I finally got round to translating this and basically there's a old man called Jack who owns a farm. He needs help protecting his farm from monsters that had recently been lurking around the area. Apparently if you say yes, he goes around dropping seeds on the soil. But other than that, I'm not entirely sure what you're supposed to do. You can collect "Jack" as a card if you click on the door which leads to Jack's house/cottage. Here:

The only purpose the card serves is for character information and a nifty picture. I just find it strange that there's literally NO monsters. I'm confused. I'll do some more research and let you know if I find anything.

EDIT: This might have something to do with it:

I'm guessing that Jack provides a graph of how many monsters you've defeated. Perhaps once you defeat a certain number of a them, you'll get some sort of reward from him.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2013, 04:43:03 AM by DQA »

Cass

• Del Citizen
« Reply #38 on: January 17, 2013, 11:22:49 PM »
Interesting. I wouldn't have guessed that he was connected to the cards, since there are also character cards and all that jazz. On a related note, I absolutely love the piece that plays when you look at the cards. <3 It's so soothing.

Bish Bash Bosh!

Namine17

• Grey Guard
« Reply #39 on: February 28, 2013, 01:08:13 PM »
O man this game looks amazing is out in English my my knowledge of how to read Japanese is small considering i started learning it 2 months ago

DQA

• Toran Citizen
« Reply #40 on: December 03, 2014, 05:43:50 AM »
O man this game looks amazing is out in English my my knowledge of how to read Japanese is small considering i started learning it 2 months ago

Good luck with your studies! Remember, if you ever need any help, you can always ask on this forum and I'll be sure to help.

DQA

• Toran Citizen
« Reply #41 on: February 01, 2017, 07:34:48 PM »
Is what the townsfolk say interesting?

Take a look (click to enlarge):

I need to fix these translations, there's quite a few mistakes lol.

Lukas Exemplar

• Grey Guard
« Reply #42 on: April 04, 2017, 07:54:42 AM »
Wait, DQA, have you learned hexadecimals?! I didn't know someone had finally started to create a patch for the game. By the way,long time no see. We haven't seen you on the wiki for a long time :/ (this is Luka1184 by the way.)
EDIT: Ah, you used Photoshop. And yes, hex-editing/ROM-hacking is a nightmare.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2017, 07:56:52 AM by Lukas Exemplar »

FallowPls

• Grey Guard
  • Fallow Fangirl
« Reply #43 on: February 05, 2019, 03:28:02 AM »
I'm about to buy this game, cause Fallow-kun on front cover!  I don't have a working Japanese 3/DS though buuuu. Does anyone have any game footage or screenies of any Fallow-kun-related stuffs? I guess I could try to emulate, but URGH.