May 18, 2024, 10:11:05 PM

Author Topic: [UPDATE] Where have I been?!  (Read 8485 times)

DQA

• Toran Citizen
[UPDATE] Where have I been?!
« on: August 11, 2012, 08:43:35 PM »
It's been a very long time since I've given any sort of update. But it's okay, I have my reasons (*cough cough* excuses *cough cough*). No, I'm only joking. I'm not sure how long this post is going to be because I have a lot to talk about.

I've been super busy doing all kinds of things. I worked with DATS on projects (mainly as a quality checker) and met tonnes of new people. I've been trying to learn as much about fansubbing as possible. And since I've been looking up to DATS since... well... forever, I thought I should learn from the pros. Even though I've only been subtitling for almost a year-and-a-half, nothing could've prepared me for how much I was going to learn from them. Teamwork appears to be a big part of how an episode is released. And I know this goes without saying, but Greg, and the rest of DATS are amazing.

This doesn't explain why I wasn't updating this site though. DATS only takes up a small amount of my time, so why couldn't I make any posts?

At the beginning of this year I was hit with nasty malware which pretty much disabled my whole computer. It didn't really bother me that much considering I've backed up everything I've ever done on two external hard drives. But, that was at the beginning of the year, so why didn't I post? Believe it or not, I was hit with the same virus again. How I got it is a mystery to me. I never opened any suspicious executable files or visited a site that might abuse some form of script. It could've transfered from my external hard drive, but that doesn't make sense either. In short, I had to wipe my computer twice this year and get everything set up again. And as of today, I've set up the website again and done all of the networking stuff.

If that's not enough excuses* for you, I've also also had a lot of school work.

Okay, that's enough of that. For anyone interested in the subtitling process, I've changed a couple of things.

First off, instead of using crappy 480p TV raws, I've ripped episodes from the DVDs and made them look amazing (hopefully). Instead of doing XviD avi's, I've switched to h264 mkv's (yay). Everything will now be softsubbed instead of hardsubbed (other than the "HEY NOW!" ending and some of the typesetting). And I've been more focused on making sure the translations are as accurate as I can make them. Hopefully you guys will notice the difference in quality when I release the episodes sometime soon.

I haven't really told you specifically what I've been subtitling though. I'm almost ready to release episodes 23, 24, 25 and 26. The script for 23 is done, 24 is almost done, 25 is done and 26 is a quarter way done. I know these episodes have been done before, but those subtitles were really bad (mainly because it was directly translated from the Chinese subs). Lief is called Leaf, Barda is called Balda, etc. There were also lot's of translation mistakes throughout those episodes. After I've released those, I'll start working on 27 - 31.

Well, that's really all I have to say. Thanks for reading  :-*
* only joking  :-X
« Last Edit: January 15, 2013, 05:22:27 AM by DQA »

Namine17

• Grey Guard
Re: [UPDATE] Where have I been?!
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2013, 10:38:57 AM »
Balda ha that's hysterical and of course you have a life  ;D my toshiba  got attacked with malware 2 it is a evil thing anyways take your time and translate it correctly i cant even begin to describe the terrible fan-subs Ive seen your doing great anything is better then the english version sad but true keep up the good work  8)

acerevox

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2013, 06:35:02 AM »
greetings I only recently learned of this forum, malware sure sucks, hopefully nobody sent you that virus intentionally.

I came to check on what's going on here, I didn't know this was a one man project. that being said, I have practically no knowledge on how subbing works, but I'm amazed how this can be done by one guy. I registered as a sign of my appreciation of your work, but also of your indurance.

I also appreciate your quest for accuracy in the translation. I don't know anything about japanese, but one can tell if subs make sense or are sort of "..what?", so thanks again for your work!

RevengeofDain

• Grey Guard
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2013, 03:12:38 PM »
I'm not sure if I was suppose to post here, but I just want to say that you sir are truly an excellent person.
I have no knowledge whatsoever about forums, so sorry if I'm doing something wrong.
You do a great job with Deltora Quest and I can't wait to see what you have in store for the rest of the episodes.
Keep up the amazing work.  ;)

DQA

• Toran Citizen
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2013, 08:48:13 PM »
Thanks, Dain :P

I've been inactive recently, but I'm so incredibly busy right now. Hope to see you around some more. :)

RevengeofDain

• Grey Guard
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2013, 06:36:03 PM »
Sure thing.
Get the priorities out of the way first.  ;)

aevitasLP

• Grey Guard
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2016, 05:09:27 PM »
I hope all is going well for you DQA, I seem to go in a cycle. Watch other anime but I get back to the one I have never finished. Deltora Quest. I mean I could watch the English dub. I however think that almost all the english dubs are not worth watching. Anyways I hope you are good and life hasn't gotten you down Ser DQA.