May 06, 2024, 10:02:10 AM

Author Topic: Deltora Quest - Issue 1 Discussion  (Read 7965 times)

DQA

• Toran Citizen
Deltora Quest - Issue 1 Discussion
« on: April 27, 2012, 10:41:35 PM »

8)Deltora Quest - Issue 1 Discussion 8)

« Last Edit: December 07, 2012, 06:06:06 PM by DQA »

Cass

• Del Citizen
Re: Deltora Quest - Issue 1 Discussion
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2012, 11:44:41 PM »
Oh, good! You decided to make a discussion thread for the manga.

This may be a general question, but does anyone know (if anyone responds, that is XD) if it was Makoto who designed
the general look for the Deltora Quest characters in the Japanese adaptions? I find it interesting how between the anime, game
and manga, characters have slightly different features, when you would expect they'd try to keep to a constant style.

As for the first issue itself... I didn't mind it. It really does differ to all the other adaptions, especially since the prologue was condensed
in both the anime and game.

I have to say that I enjoyed it more before Jarred fled from the castle. Afterwards, I think the artist veered off into their own direction too much, giving the carriage driver a bigger role and cutting out Crian and Anna (initially, anyway). Instead, the artist decided to focus more on Endon and Sharn, which just seemed odd. Perhaps a subtle hint...?

I also had a few issues with the style itself. I really liked the art style before Jarred is chased from the castle, mostly because it was both simplistic yet fitting to the series. Sort of like Legend of Zelda in a way. But after that... I dunno, it seemed like the artist felt the need to make it darker and edgier. Especially in the case of Prandine. Oh, poor Prandine... way to make it obvious! XD Really, you can tell the artist went through at least three different stages of development for him, finally opting for a more crony and obviously evil look for him. This didn't seem to be the case for the other characters, but if you compare sections of the book it's pretty conspicuous.

Other than that... probably the ending was a let down for me. The whole confrontation with Prandine and the Grey Guards felt terribly cliched and dumbed down in comparison to the novel. The callback to the previous chapter was pretty out there, but I feel that the artist's portrayal of Endon and Prandine's relationship was well done. The original novel didn't really present any themes of emotional abuse between the two, so I thought it was a nice touch.

That's all I can really think of! I hope somebody will reply... XD
Bish Bash Bosh!

DQA

• Toran Citizen
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2012, 05:31:48 AM »
I know! Can't believe I hadn't made a manga thread before... All thanks to you! Haha! Perhaps I'll give you credit when I release the next episode on Deltora Quest. (I'm currently working on episode 62).

From what I understand, Makoto did originally design the characters, but I can't be certain. And yeah, I totally agree. The game, manga and anime all have their own art style (and I guess a slightly different story). The game goes for a 3D semi-realistic anime approach (I mean during the opening cut-scene) and I find that very strange considering both the manga and the anime go for a similar-ish style (with obvious differences, of course). A little off topic, but the copy of the game I have must be glitched...  There's a section in the game a little after you meet Jasmine when you walk over the tree tops. After that, you reach a screen with nothing but leaves. I have no idea how to progress... I've tried every button and stylus combination, but it just isn't working...  :'( Anyway, I need to get back on topic  :-X

Now, I did pick up a copy of Issue 1, however I haven't had the time to read it the whole way through  :( (which is kind of dumb, considering I'm supposed to be discussing the manga). I plan on finishing it, there's just so much school work right now. From what I've read though, I find it interesting that the anime and the game didn't start with the Jarred and Endon prologue. But, I suppose you already said that.

Oh, and never fear. I'll always reply! I check this forum twice a day, lol. Sorry for not bringing the topic further into discussion, I'll make sure I read the whole thing next time I reply. Anyway, thanks again for your detailed and amazing comments! I always have a thrill reading them.

Cass

• Del Citizen
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2012, 03:17:01 AM »
Oh, no need! I've done nothing of great importance. We're all very grateful for your commitment!

Yes, it seems as though the anime tried to follow the manga more carefully than the game did (though I just loved the game's reinterpretation). I recall Makoto making a comment at the end of one of the volumes about the anime, and how it would be coming out soon, or something. I wonder how closely they worked together.

I like what the game has going on, despite the gameplay issues it has. The dark and somewhat melancholy settings work superbly for Deltora Quest, an aspect which I felt was missing in the anime (and there I was complaining about the manga trying to be dark and edgy. XD I feel it may be because the manga deviated quite a bit from the story do this). And, oh, I can be of assistance! o/ Your game isn't bugged - you need to blow into the microphone to move the leaves. That took me a while to figure out as well. ^_^;

Ah, not a sweat. I hope you enjoy the manga! And thank you! ^_^ Just trying to spark some thoughtful discussion.

Toodles until then!

EDIT: Sure thing! I won't make another post because it would just be clogging the topic up, so I'll wait until you post your thoughts.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2012, 04:22:15 AM by Cass »
Bish Bash Bosh!

DQA

• Toran Citizen
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2012, 01:46:39 AM »
Oh, no need! I've done nothing of great importance. We're all very grateful for your commitment!

Yes, it seems as though the anime tried to follow the manga more carefully than the game did (though I just loved the game's reinterpretation). I recall Makoto making a comment at the end of one of the volumes about the anime, and how it would be coming out soon, or something. I wonder how closely they worked together.

I like what the game has going on, despite the gameplay issues it has. The dark and somewhat melancholy settings work superbly for Deltora Quest, an aspect which I felt was missing in the anime (and there I was complaining about the manga trying to be dark and edgy. XD I feel it may be because the manga deviated quite a bit from the story do this). And, oh, I can be of assistance! o/ Your game isn't bugged - you need to blow into the microphone to move the leaves. That took me a while to figure out as well. ^_^;

Ah, not a sweat. I hope you enjoy the manga! And thank you! ^_^ Just trying to spark some thoughtful discussion.

Toodles until then!

Sorry for taking so long to reply. I just wiped my hardrive and had to reinstall all my programs.  :-\

That comment you made does make you wonder how much Makoto worked on the anime... I just checked an episode and Makoto was nowhere throughout the credits...

Oh! So that's how you pass the leaf section! Thanks so much! I can finally get to the next section!  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

As of yet, I STILL haven't finished the manga, but I'll get through it this weekend. Sorry for such a short comment, but I'm really sick and don't have enough energy to talk about what I wanted to. Anyway, thanks again!

Cass

• Del Citizen
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2012, 03:52:15 AM »
Ah, sure thing! I'm waiting in anticipation for your input!
Bish Bash Bosh!

DQA

• Toran Citizen
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2012, 05:50:56 PM »
Ah, sure thing! I'm waiting in anticipation for your input!

It's only been a couple of months. That's okay, right?  :P

I have FINALLY read the manga. There are definitely differences between the anime and book, but I still found it highly enjoyable, if not a bit short. But I guess manga doesn't take too long to read either way. I think I prefer the anime over the manga, though. I'm keen to hear your opinion about the other issues. I'll get round to making new threads now.

Cass

• Del Citizen
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2012, 12:25:07 AM »
Oh, not at all. C:

Well, I'll be frank in saying that as I've read the other books, my opinion has lowered. >o>; I'm up to the ninth one (I've preordered them, you see), and I'm sort of disappointed in how sloppily the last two/three gems are gathered. Unlike the previous installments, which had two books per gem/area, the last two will seemingly be hastily put together in the last book.

Not only that, but the style takes some getting used to. When an artist can't draw the main character in a consistent way, there's something to wonder about! >m>;

But that's just me. I'll go into more depth later on in the respective threads. I'll say that the first book looks as though it had the most thought put into it.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2012, 01:41:56 AM by DQA »
Bish Bash Bosh!

DQA

• Toran Citizen
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2012, 01:41:20 AM »
Yeah, I completely agree. I'm only up to volume 7, but it seems to keep getting more and more rushed along the way. I'm going out to go buy the next two volumes now. I'll update a little bit more soon.

Cass

• Del Citizen
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2012, 04:20:20 AM »
Ah, well, all I can say is that the quality of work really fluctuates. After Volume 8, I had assumed the pace and quality of art was going to continue that way, but Volume 9 seems to beg to differ. >O>;
Bish Bash Bosh!

FallowPls

• Grey Guard
  • Fallow Fangirl
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2019, 03:01:49 AM »
Getting my copy soon-ish. Hoorah. :'3 *is so excite* I'd rather be buying the cards, but couldn't find them (on any English site anyway) but at least I'll have these to tie me over............