May 19, 2024, 01:08:55 PM

Author Topic: Artbook ?  (Read 5965 times)

Cass

• Del Citizen
Artbook ?
« on: June 07, 2014, 08:18:24 PM »
Hello, any out there that still reads this forum! (Che peccato...)

I have recently come across an interesting image after a fair amount of digging - it looks to be a page of some artbook, showcasing designs by Yocky !

I'm wondering what this book is - could it be the DS game 's guidebook ? Those can often feature extra tidbits. It's a shame, as this image came from somebody 's personal website, I cannot find anything else on this.
Bish Bash Bosh!

MakenMedium

• Grey Guard
  • Who dares unsheathe the- oh, cookies!
Re: Artbook ?
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2014, 10:13:29 AM »
Hi Cass.

I tried searching for images or even a .pdf of the manual and the guide book, but unfortunately, I didn't find anything but the cover of the guide book... If you've got the coin, I've found it on ebay. I for my part, can't afford it.
Only judging by size and the description, I'd say your image is from that guide book.
Total pages: 207 pages
There are a lot of illustrations in this book.

Regards,
the demon sword
Patience is the jewel in the crown of wisdom.

Cass

• Del Citizen
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2014, 01:02:37 AM »
Hello there! It's nice to make your acquaintance, MakenMedium - it pleases me immensely to see some activity on this forum.

I dunno, but on the DS game's website, it shows two different "books" that both seem like they may be a guide book, both with covers unlike this one that you've posted. Something tells me this book isn't actually related to the DS game, if only because the cover is in the style of Mark Bridle's work.

I would link you to the website, but at this moment I am unable. The book I believe this must come from is featured on the most-right 'gem'.
Bish Bash Bosh!

DQA

• Toran Citizen
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2014, 01:44:19 AM »
Yes, this appears to be the DS game guide, as indicated by the title "オフィシャルガイドブック" - (translates to "Official Guide Book" however 'guide book' is a rather vague term. Hm, I wonder if it could be for something else?).

Actually, taking a look at that eBay page, it does indeed look to be a game guide, judging by the 'RPG' in the title.

Nice find!

Cass

• Del Citizen
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2014, 03:56:42 AM »
Wow, long time no see!

Something tells me, then, that the book MakenMedium posted is a general "guide book" for the Deltora book series, and not the DS RPG. Perhaps the eBay seller mistook the nature of the book? This is likely a Japanese translation of one of the many Deltora side books.

If it were for the DS RPG, it would've used the logo art of the DS game (and would've included the game's subtitle, I imagine).

Seems the game's guide book is out of print now, and from the website it was something of a limited edition. :V if only I could've been quicker... The possible concept art of all the characters...!

Ah well.
Bish Bash Bosh!

MakenMedium

• Grey Guard
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2014, 01:40:50 AM »
Hello there! It's nice to make your acquaintance, MakenMedium - it pleases me immensely to see some activity on this forum.

Same here. ^^

So... to solve the riddle I've just purchased that guide... I'm going straight to the hellish forge for this.  :(
Oh well...

And on another note:
Hi DQA!
*bows* Medium's the name. Nice meeting you. Don't mind if I make myself at home here.

Regards,
the demon sword
« Last Edit: June 22, 2014, 03:16:16 AM by MakenMedium »

DQA

• Toran Citizen
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2014, 06:54:39 AM »
So... to solve the riddle I've just purchased that guide... I'm going straight to the hellish forge for this.  :(

Ooh, how exciting!! Can you read Japanese? I'm really interested to see what it turns out to be.

Pleased to meet you.
  :)

MakenMedium

• Grey Guard
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2014, 12:00:20 PM »
Unfortunately, I am almost entirely useless.
I DID learn a bit of japanese some years ago, but... for each Hiragana or Katakana I learned, I forgot two...

But I know how to scan the entire thing and give it to you guys.

...if it ever arrives, that is... sometime next week, I guess.

Regards,
the demon sword

MakenMedium

• Grey Guard
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2014, 08:37:32 AM »
The guidebook arrived today, and as it turns out, it is indeed not the one you were looking for, Cass.

It is more of a guide to Deltora itself. Descriptions of locations, people and beasts. Some Artwork in there, as well as fanart. At least so it seems, to hell if I can actually read it.

As soon as I've got some time, and a scanner, I will scan it and give it to you guys.

Regards,
the weekend sword

DQA

• Toran Citizen
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2014, 07:23:18 AM »
Sounds cool! Excited to see the scans.

Cass

• Del Citizen
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2014, 10:47:05 PM »
That is still an incredibly good find, MakenMedium! It sounds very precious, even if it is in Japanese. XD

Actually, I've been pursuing my own searches, and I actually have managed to come into possession of the book that contains the image I posted above.

The book (more like a booklet) is a very brief bestiary. All enemies are presented, with their artwork, a description (likely a suggestion of how to battle them) and their HP. I've taken two photos so far (cover and back pages) which show a few more pieces of concept art.

It's very neat, overall! Even if it is a bit briefer than I was expecting.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2014, 10:49:05 PM by Cass »
Bish Bash Bosh!

MakenMedium

• Grey Guard
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2014, 10:59:47 AM »
I just learned that god really exists.

When I was scanning the book, at page 197 of 206, the PC told me it's out of memory, the scan should be aborted and tried again, and then ate the file while trying to save the already scanned pages.
I knew I should have become a fork  :'(

Next try tomorrow.

Regards,
sad sword

DQA

• Toran Citizen
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2014, 05:50:47 AM »

When I was scanning the book, at page 197 of 206, the PC told me it's out of memory, the scan should be aborted and tried again, and then ate the file while trying to save the already scanned pages.

Next try tomorrow.

Regards,
sad sword

Any update on this, MakenMedium?

Lukas Exemplar

• Grey Guard
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2017, 08:20:53 AM »

Next try tomorrow.

Regards,
sad sword

Any update on this, MakenMedium?
I'm also wondering if you could give us an update MakenMedium :)