May 19, 2024, 04:58:27 PM

Author Topic: Deltora Quest - Issue 7 Discussion  (Read 4042 times)

DQA

• Toran Citizen
Deltora Quest - Issue 7 Discussion
« on: December 13, 2012, 01:45:46 AM »

8)Deltora Quest - Issue 7 Discussion 8)

Cass

• Del Citizen
Re: Deltora Quest - Issue 7 Discussion
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2012, 04:30:15 AM »
When I first got this volume, I was slightly underwhelmed. I felt as though, despite more than half of the book focusing on the Rithmere Games, it didn't capture the feel of the original.

And in saying that, I also feel that there was too much focus on the Rithmere Games! Rather, should I say, there was too much focus on the fighting. Heck, the mangaka even managed to leave out several key plot points, such as the threat of the blood-thirsty crowd, the subplot about the previous winners disappearing, and there is no mention of Queen Bee Cider at all.

As I said before, there was a real heavy focus on the actual fighting, and I think I know why. The mangaka, Makoto Niwano, was originally a wrestler, and before making the Deltora manga he created several wrestling mangas. So, of course, the Rithmere Games was probably as good an excuse as any to depict gruelling battle scenes.

I could probably rant a whole lot more about the decline in art quality and several other choices, but I'll look as though I'm whining. XD;
Bish Bash Bosh!

DQA

• Toran Citizen
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2012, 07:56:38 PM »
As I said before, there was a real heavy focus on the actual fighting, and I think I know why. The mangaka, Makoto Niwano, was originally a wrestler, and before making the Deltora manga he created several wrestling mangas. So, of course, the Rithmere Games was probably as good an excuse as any to depict gruelling battle scenes.

Wow! That's some fascinating trivia!

I agree with all the points you mentioned. I think the Doom & Dain encounter was a bit sloppy. If they had put more effort into the character development instead of the combat throughout the Rithmere Games, I'm sure this volume would've been much better. And yeah, I wonder why they decided not to mention anything about Queen Bee Cider.

I could probably rant a whole lot more about the decline in art quality and several other choices, but I'll look as though I'm whining. XD;

Oh, not at all. I don't consider it 'ranting', I love to hear your opinions.

Cass

• Del Citizen
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2012, 09:51:54 PM »
Ah, I do agree with you on the Dain and Doom encounter, though I'm somewhat unsure how it played out in the original.

But now that you say that, it jogs my memory. Perhaps my least favourite 'change' made by the manga was the fact that rather than Doom attempting to knock out the party by drugging the Queen Bee Cider (which Glock and Neridah instead took), he nonsensically defeats Glock during battle. In Doom's original plan, he wanted Glock to win, so that he would be kidnapped instead of Lief and co.

Oh well. It might be the loosest interpretation so far, but we've not yet seen the final book!
Bish Bash Bosh!

Lukas Exemplar

• Grey Guard
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2017, 08:14:24 AM »
These posts are old, but I'd like to point out that the companions don't actually speak to Dain in the original books by Rodda until The Maze of the Beast, although he does appear in The Shifting Sands where he serves the Queen Bee Cider to the contestants. They do talk to Doom before, though. Not counting the scene in City of the Rats where they see Doom in Tom's shop, The Shifting Sands was the first time they actually spoke to the man, after he saves them from the Grey Guards that caught them when they left the Champion Inn.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2017, 08:16:36 AM by Lukas Exemplar »