May 19, 2024, 03:33:02 PM

Author Topic: Deltora Quest Episode 13 Discussion  (Read 8113 times)

DQA

• Toran Citizen
Deltora Quest Episode 13 Discussion
« on: March 08, 2012, 01:33:45 AM »
Deltora Quest Episode 13 Discussion

« Last Edit: April 21, 2012, 12:25:47 AM by DQA »

Cass

• Del Citizen
Re: Deltora Quest Episode 13 Discussion
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2012, 02:07:24 AM »
Well, I thought I might as well break the ice, since nobody else has yet... ;o;

One of my favourite episodes (tied in with 14), mostly due to how it broke up the pattern that was forming, and also
because of the characters involved. I don't know what it is, but I just love the entire "Old Del" cast. That, and how it
wasn't just some throwaway history lesson.

Of course the books went into more detail and presented more emotion from Jarred and Endon, I found these episodes
more personal to the story, thanks to how Lief has taken over the omniscient narrator. Don't get me wrong - Emily Rodda
is a very competent writer, but I find the positioning of this flashback more appropriate than the novel's. Having said that,
I believe both versions (the novel's and the anime's) are handled in a manner that suits their respective mediums.

And, of course. <3 The introduction of my favourite little villain... Prandine! Gahhh, I love 'im, I love 'im! <3 In regards to his Japanese
voice actor, the man did a superb job, as did everybody else. Or, at least, I think they did. OTL They certainly captured me more
than what the English dub had to offer... (While my rage is strong for that subject, I'll leave discussion for that at another time).

... I'm not sure what else to say, really. I really love what you've got going here, DQA. I'd hope that this forum could some day be
flourishing with public interest, since you've put quite a lot of effort into what you do.

Toodles!~ 
Bish Bash Bosh!

DQA

• Toran Citizen
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2012, 12:10:01 AM »
DON'T READ THIS IF YOU HAVEN'T READ/WATCHED UP TO THE RETURN TO DEL SAGA! (8TH BOOK AND AROUND EPISODES 45 - 52)

Spoiler for :
Wow! Very detailed thoughts! And thanks for the compliments,  :D. Personally I think it's a pity they didn't do the Endon/Jarred arc at the beginning because they had to change the anime ending slightly because of it. If anyone remembers, in the last book, Jasmine has the note about the mouse... This one:
Oops I deleted the image and don't have a back up of it.
She has the note about the mouse in her jacket (Doom gave it to her I think) and then she realises that she is somehow connected to the royal line. However, in the anime, Jasmine hears Lief talk about the whole Jarred/Endon thing, so obviously she'd know about it. Because they did this, they had to change the ending so that Jasmine never had the note. It's not a big issue, but if they'd done it near the beginning, they could've made the ending more true to the book. Anyway, nice thoughts! Finally someone commented, hah! 
« Last Edit: December 05, 2013, 05:57:47 PM by DQA »

Cass

• Del Citizen
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2012, 10:35:58 PM »
Oh? I don't think I remember that detail (it has been a few years since I've read the books, mind you), but I definitely did notice
a lack of importance to the note. I remember it much more vividly in the book series (or perhaps that was just Rowe's extensive writing ability).

I suppose the reason I find it fitting in the anime is because of the connectivity it has to the central story. I'm not sure how the anime would
manage to swiftly capture viewers without breaking up initial flow (it can be tedious sitting through historical exposition, especially if the arc was two episodes). Unless, of course, you're suggesting the arc should've started before Lief and Barda meet Jasmine (which I could see just as possible, I suppose).

I just like how the anime filled the gaps where the book didn't find explanation necessary (Jasmine learning about Lief's connection to the belt, and such).

Either way, the anime was going to have difficulty in implementing the prologue somewhere. I think where they chose was neat enough, even if certain rich details were at the expense.

Another sort of spoiler for those who haven't watched Episode 25:

Spoiler for :
The whole Prandine/Fallow Lord thing. I find this episode to be the best to discuss this, because it basically muddled the entire plot twist
involving the two (or possibly made another rise).

So up until now (let's assume this from a viewer who has not read the books before) we have had a villainous chancellor-type character and the main villain himself provide needless expository conversations that set up later events. Then, what do you know? Said chancellor-type character is revealed to have been the last king's chief advisor. Or so we think. And THEN, once episode 25 rolls by, this is resolved.
But before it IS resolved, most new fans will probably be thinking, "Huh? What? Why isn't this being brought to attention by anybody?"

All those scenes with Fallow and the Shadow Lord did was confuse the viewer. Most of them didn't really add anything to the plot, other than revealing the main villain prematurely.

Another Prandine one: Prandine is able to touch the belt. Was this a mistake on the director's part? Some people justified his ability to hold the belt due to him wearing gloves, but he's bare-handed in the episode. I'd LIKE to think it wasn't a muck-up, but who knows. Maybe the effects of the belt on Ols only occurs when contact is made with the gems themselves? He does hold it by the chain. [/color]
« Last Edit: April 20, 2012, 06:35:20 AM by DQA »
Bish Bash Bosh!

DQA

• Toran Citizen
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2012, 12:46:05 AM »
Oh? I don't think I remember that detail (it has been a few years since I've read the books, mind you), but I definitely did notice
a lack of importance to the note. I remember it much more vividly in the book series (or perhaps that was just Rowe's extensive writing ability).

I suppose the reason I find it fitting in the anime is because of the connectivity it has to the central story. I'm not sure how the anime would
manage to swiftly capture viewers without breaking up initial flow (it can be tedious sitting through historical exposition, especially if the arc was two episodes). Unless, of course, you're suggesting the arc should've started before Lief and Barda meet Jasmine (which I could see just as possible, I suppose).

I just like how the anime filled the gaps where the book didn't find explanation necessary (Jasmine learning about Lief's connection to the belt, and such).

Either way, the anime was going to have difficulty in implementing the prologue somewhere. I think where they chose was neat enough, even if certain rich details were at the expense.

Another sort of spoiler for those who haven't watched Episode 25:

Spoiler for :
The whole Prandine/Fallow Lord thing. I find this episode to be the best to discuss this, because it basically muddled the entire plot twist
involving the two (or possibly made another rise).

So up until now (let's assume this from a viewer who has not read the books before) we have had a villainous chancellor-type character and the main villain himself provide needless expository conversations that set up later events. Then, what do you know? Said chancellor-type character is revealed to have been the last king's chief advisor. Or so we think. And THEN, once episode 25 rolls by, this is resolved.
But before it IS resolved, most new fans will probably be thinking, "Huh? What? Why isn't this being brought to attention by anybody?"

All those scenes with Fallow and the Shadow Lord did was confuse the viewer. Most of them didn't really add anything to the plot, other than revealing the main villain prematurely.

Another Prandine one: Prandine is able to touch the belt. Was this a mistake on the director's part? Some people justified his ability to hold the belt due to him wearing gloves, but he's bare-handed in the episode. I'd LIKE to think it wasn't a muck-up, but who knows. Maybe the effects of the belt on Ols only occurs when contact is made with the gems themselves? He does hold it by the chain.

Wow! Another great analysis
;)

Spoiler for :
Just to clear up the note affair, here's a page from Return to Del:

"He was slipping once more into sleep. 'I was happy, Father,' Jasmine brushed angrily at her tears. 'I had you and Mamma. I had games, songs, rhymes.' She tugged at Doom's sleeve, trying to rouse him. 'One rhyme I loved especially, because it had pictures,' she babbled. 'You gave it to me, Father. Remember?'
Doom made no reply. Desperately she released his hand and begun rummaging in the pockets of her jacket. Her treasures spilled upon her lap--feathers and threads, a broken-toothed comb, a scrap of mirror, coins, stones, bark, scraps of paper...At last, she found what she was looking for. The oldest paper of all--grubby, and folded many times.
Carefully she unfolded it, and shook it in front of Doom's unconscious face. 'I still have it,' she cried. 'See?'

*Shows picture of the rhyme*

Scarcely able to believe what he was seeing, Lief looked up to meet Barda's eyes. Endon's childhood rhyme. The rhyme that told of the secret way into the palace. Repeated in this very room by Lief's father when the story of Endon and Sharn's escape was told.Here was the one proof that could not be denied. And Jasmine had been carrying it, all along."

You mentioned that Prandine touched the belt? I cannot recall anywhere in episode 13 where he touched it... Could you provide screenshots? But yeah, overall episode 13 was a very well done episode considering the circumstances.

« Last Edit: April 20, 2012, 06:37:18 AM by DQA »

Cass

• Del Citizen
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2012, 12:27:11 AM »
Ah! Golly gosh gum gee. Thanks for the clarification! It is a shame that they didn't include this in the anime.

Spoiler for :
Was this
also when it was revealed that Doom was Jarred? I honestly can't remember that much about the last book, and the anime has warped
my memory. When did this take place?

I'm going to go out on a limb and say it was a simple mistake. But then again, you could debate to what extent the belt must be touching an Ol for it to cause damage. In the other two examples (or one, if you're talking about the novel) the belt was being worn by an Ol and it was being held in an Ol's closed fist in the other. Way to keep consistent... ! XD
« Last Edit: December 07, 2012, 05:54:29 PM by DQA »
Bish Bash Bosh!

DQA

• Toran Citizen
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2012, 06:34:19 AM »
All that time and I never even noticed! Nice observation! Perhaps because the belt hadn't been worn for ages, it lost a sum of its power, which is why Prandine could handle it... Either that, or its just a mistake like you said.

Because we're going way off topic, I've added a spoiler button (the two letters "Sp") when you're replying and making a new topic. This way, users that haven't read the books or seen past episode 13 can avoid big spoilers. I'll update both yours and my posts.

Spoiler for :
And yes, the part I quoted from the book was when they find out Doom is Endon.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2012, 07:18:52 PM by DQA »

Cass

• Del Citizen
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2012, 09:34:34 PM »
I'm not sure, but is the anime based off the manga directly? I wonder what the situation is between the two, but I'm sure the manga came first. The manga artist also made this mistake, if I'm right.

Spoiler for :
Ah, nice. Is this after the finale (after the confrontation with Fallow) or beforehand? It's a wonder how the anime managed
to butcher the ending up so well! XD
« Last Edit: April 21, 2012, 12:18:36 AM by DQA »
Bish Bash Bosh!

DQA

• Toran Citizen
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2012, 12:18:52 AM »
I'm not sure, but is the anime based off the manga directly? I wonder what the situation is between the two, but I'm sure the manga came first. The manga artist also made this mistake, if I'm right.

Spoiler for :
Ah, nice. Is this after the finale (after the confrontation with Fallow) or beforehand? It's a wonder how the anime managed
to butcher the ending up so well! XD

If I remember correctly, the anime didn't follow the manga. I remember reading somewhere that the manga only went up to the Dread Mountain saga, but I'm not completely sure. (this is wrong). I really need to buy the manga! I've never read a single page of it! Perhaps I'll go buy it from Japan and translate it... Either way, if the anime did follow the manga up until Dread Mountain, then yes, I'm sure the manga artist would've made the same mistake.

Spoiler for :
I just quickly checked the book, and, if I looked correctly, the part I quoted happens after the confrontation with Fallow. Haha, and yeah, I remember watching episode 52 of DQ after reading the final book and thinking "Wait... this is nothing like the book!" It doesn't really matter, though, because it's not like they completely ruined the ending. In fact, I quite liked their attempt at it. Your opinion?
« Last Edit: March 22, 2013, 06:33:59 PM by DQA »

Cass

• Del Citizen
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2012, 11:03:31 PM »
Oh, you haven't read it yet? Granted, I had to order it in at my local bookstore (they don't supply manga readily) but I'm sure
it would be fairly easy to find. The English translation, that is. They're up to book 5, at the moment. I'll just keep hush hush about the subject, seeing how this probably isn't the most appropriate place for it. XD; Is there a manga thread?

Spoiler for :
I guess it wasn't terrible, by any stretch of the imagination. Episode 51 and 52 definitely outshone the episodes before it, and I don't really mind the depiction of the Shadow Lord. At first, I found the whole gathering of the gems a somewhat cheesy concept, but it really plays out well. Episode 52 really does what it is meant to: embody what the first Deltora Quest series is about. So, well done to it. Then again, the real ending for the anime is episode 65, which I have yet to watch.
Bish Bash Bosh!

DQA

• Toran Citizen
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2012, 04:02:23 AM »
No, I haven't read the manga yet : :-\

I really should buy them. Not sure If I should buy the Japanese or English version...

I can't believe I don't have a manga thread yet. I'll create one soon, but considering I don't have any copies, I don't know how I should set up the threads... Should I set them up by volumes or chapters?

Spoiler for :
Yeah, I completely agree. Episodes 51 & 52 in the Japanese version are really good. If you ever get time, you can always watch episode 65 on my channel (with subtitles).  8)

Cass

• Del Citizen
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2012, 05:45:00 AM »
It's, uh... a pretty different experience to the anime. I'm still pretty undecided whether I like it or not. XD

It would be interesting to see your reinterpretation, especially if you're willing to go the whole way! I recall someone translating the
first chapter online.

I'd suggest by volumes. ^_^;

Spoiler for :
Haha, I like how you say "the Japanese version". I can only shiver to think what the dub did to them... . Oh, do you just? I might just do that!

Hmm... I'm trying to think of something else to point out, but I can't think of anything. XD Just trying to keep on topic. OTL I suppose I do
have something else to say, but this is probably just a general comment.

Spoiler for :
If you watch the episode with the knowledge from episode 50, Prandine can come off as more than a little racist, among other things. I quite like how it the anime played with this, giving episode 13/14 a whole different feeling once you learn the truth.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2013, 06:35:16 PM by DQA »
Bish Bash Bosh!

DQA

• Toran Citizen
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2012, 09:05:38 PM »
It's, uh... a pretty different experience to the anime. I'm still pretty undecided whether I like it or not. XD

It would be interesting to see your reinterpretation, especially if you're willing to go the whole way! I recall someone translating the
first chapter online.

I'd suggest by volumes. ^_^;

Spoiler for :
Haha, I like how you say "the Japanese version". I can only shiver to think what the dub did to them... . Oh, do you just? I might just do that!

Hrmm... I'm trying to think of something else to point out, but I can't think of anything. XD Just trying to keep on topic. OTL I suppose I do
have something else to say, but this is probably just a general comment.

Spoiler for :
If you watch the episode with the knowledge from episode 50, Prandine can come off as more than a little racist, among other things. I quite like how it the anime played with this, giving episode 13/14 a whole different feeling once you learn the truth.

I just went down to my local anime and manga shop and bought the first manga issue. I've hardly read any of it, but so far it seems pretty different to episode 13 and 14. Don't know if it's just me, but there seems to be more humour in the manga.

Spoiler for :
Really? I didn't notice that Prandine was racist  :-\

Anyway, unless we have anything else to say, I suggest we start a discussion on another episode  ;D

Cass

• Del Citizen
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2012, 12:35:13 AM »
The manga artist definitely had fun with it. There's a lot more action, that's for certain. Out of the other books thus far, it's my favourite (perhaps because it reminds me of the Legend of Zelda). Well... you'll discover for yourself. XD

Spoiler for :
Seems like it, anyway. .m.;

All righty. Yes, I can't think of anything else pertaining to this episode. XP
« Last Edit: May 11, 2012, 05:33:30 AM by DQA »
Bish Bash Bosh!

Namine17

• Grey Guard
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2013, 05:44:20 PM »
I have to say they did a very good job with this one but i felt they should have had it in the first episode. I love how they portray Jared and Endon they r so adorable as kids, i however did not like the fact that the note was different but other then they stuck close to the book and i love it when they do that 8)