May 16, 2024, 10:49:09 PM

Author Topic: Deltora Quest Finds on the Internet  (Read 16858 times)

Cass

• Del Citizen
Deltora Quest Finds on the Internet
« on: January 19, 2013, 04:37:12 AM »
Earlier this year, while rummaging around the Internet for Deltora-related goodies, I found out that certain Japanese auction/eBay type websites actually have bundles of concept images from the anime. They are, I assume, replicas of the original concepts made by members of the character design team.

http://page10.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/m84126493

They seem to be in abundance, though each offer I've found appears to have a different set (or somewhat different, anyway). Ahhh, if I could, I would definitely buy it - however, the only way one COULD buy them internationally would be through a third party. Seeing as they're already costly enough, I'm not sure if I could spend that much on them.

But, to turn this into an actual conversation, I implore people to post little things they've found tucked away about or related to Deltora Quest. Lately, I've been trying to procure high quality versions of the character art from the game, but I find it doubtful that I'll find the images I want (high quality versions of several characters/enemies/bosses can be found on a Japanese gaming site, but that's all I've found).
Bish Bash Bosh!

DQA

• Toran Citizen
Re: Deltora Quest Finds on the Internet
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2013, 05:13:58 AM »
Oh, wow. This is amazing! What a fantastic find. Ahh, it's only got one day left as well! I'm starting to consider buying this. Cass, what have you done?!

:'(

The only really 'semi-rare' thing I have in my Deltora Quest collection are the books with holographic covers. Though, I'm entirely sure if these are rare at all.

In other words, I need to build my collection! Unless of course the Japanese DVDs are considered rare...

:( Also, what happened to your avatar? :(
« Last Edit: January 20, 2013, 07:09:26 PM by DQA »

Cass

• Del Citizen
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2013, 07:04:41 PM »
Oh, you needn't worry. That particular bundle has been floating around since mid-last year. I think it just keeps recirculating, because nobody's bought it, yet.

That would be a smashing idea!

I've wondered if there would be any use in actually hiring an online interpreter and asking Yocky (the game's artist) if he would consider releasing some of his art for the game. After all, I've noticed by going on to the website that he created plenty of HD art for almost every character and monster, some of which was not even used (a portrait of cloakless Leif using a hammer, an Ol, a HD Reeah). It just astounds me that they've not come up with some sort of Artbook, or something.

Of course, I think the rarest thing to find (if it even exists at all) would be a Deltora Quest Anime Soundtrack. I'm just gobsmacked that one doesn't exist!

Ahh, yes, there are those holographic book covers. They sound like a neat thing to have. But, also do the Japanese DVDs!

Oh? I'm not sure. I'll upload it back up later.
Bish Bash Bosh!

DQA

• Toran Citizen
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2013, 07:27:39 PM »
Oh, good! I was starting to panic.

Yeah, the interpreter idea sounds good. Could you post a link to his work/website?

It would be possible to get SOME of the soundtracks from the anime (with the DVD), but it would take months of work, and even then it's not official. Strange that the game (which I'm assuming is less popular than the anime) got a soundtrack CD and the anime didn't.

Cass

• Del Citizen
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2013, 07:55:20 PM »
When/if you do buy it, you must scan some of them! D: I know for a fact that there are at least two other copies going around, however it seems by examples, they do not have all the same pieces.

http://www.yocky.biz/

I do wonder, however. Yocky himself has not uploaded any of the art for the game on his website. Perhaps the company that produced the game bought the rights to his work? I sincerely hope not, since they've not put it to good use. Although, there is a strategy guide for the game. Perhaps they used the majority of his work in that?

I wonder also. The soundtrack was made by some rather famous people in the industry, one (I think) who worked on the Final Fantasy Tactics series. I assume the DVD only has small snippets of pieces? When you think about it, the anime doesn't seem all that popular, either. XD Which is indeed a shame. I assume its disappeared into obscurity since its debut, which was in 2007. Gosh, it's hard to believe it has been 5 years!
Bish Bash Bosh!

DQA

• Toran Citizen
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2013, 08:13:25 PM »
Yeah, if I do end up buying them (I'm not sure now that you said they've been recirculating), I'll definitely scan them.

Hmm, I didn't even know there was a strategy guide! I bet there'd be some of his artwork in there.

who worked on the Final Fantasy Tactics series

Your knowledge on Deltora Quest is mindbogglingly superb.

Cass

• Del Citizen
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2013, 08:39:33 PM »
Ah, you wish to buy them for the novelty factor? Yes, I do believe they are probably reprints of some sort. When I was rummaging around for them on Japamart, I noticed that many other animes have similar 'set pieces'.

Mm, indeed there is! However, I'd prefer the art in digital format. XD There's something just spectacular about Yocky's work - I feel he really captured the original book cover artist's feel of the series, unlike the anime/manga. A superb choice, on the developer's part.

Oh, quite a compliment. XD It's funny, I'm not even sure what rope me around the series. It was well written, yes, but it's not incredibly special. I do, however, feel it needs much more love than it garnered. The English anime has not done it any justice, whatsoever.
Bish Bash Bosh!

DQA

• Toran Citizen
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2013, 06:23:24 PM »
Well, when you first posted the link, I was really intrigued mainly due to the fact that I love seeing storyboards/concept art. I just love seeing the work that goes into everything (that includes the anime, manga and game).

Does yocky have an email address for contact business? I might be able to message him about his art work. Though my writing in Japanese is awful compared to my reading.

I had high hopes for the dub when I first heard the announcement. I really thought that something great could come out of it. It was  the biggest disappointment ever. ;_;

Cass

• Del Citizen
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2013, 01:19:54 AM »
As do I. Well, actually, I was only particularly interested in Prandine's concept art. >o>;; Don't get me wrong, the others are great and all. I've just never seen such a unique character design. That, and the storyboard art does look tremendous. I just wish it carried over better onto the actual anime. XD

He does have an email address, which you can find in the 'Contact' subpage on his website. It would be nice to hear it from the goat's mouth, as one commonly says. It is quite hard to get into contact with the Japanese community, indeed.

I didn't have high hopes. I knew they were going to dub it at some American/Canadian place, which I just felt wasn't correct. XD I'm sorry to al those out there from America/Canada, but I hardly see why it couldn't have gone to some British/Australian dubbing company.

Other than that, it was a major disappointment. And unfortunately, it is the version that most people are taking notice of. How people can watch it through its horrible voice actors (searching them on Anime Network reveals that for most of them this was their first production) and cheap, synth music I WILL not understand.

I just won't get over it. XD; I think animes are usually better in their native tongue, anyway. A lot is lost in dubs.
Bish Bash Bosh!

DQA

• Toran Citizen
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2013, 03:24:33 AM »
Well, by 'high hopes' I thought it was an Australian production. Uggh... just thinking about it makes me cringe. I'm not sure if I'm the only one who noticed this, but the dub actually censored a lot of things.

Here's just one quick example I made:

Instead of Barda "hitting" Jasmine with his sword, he punches her. It looks REALLY obvious that it's been edited.

This isn't the only time it's happened too! Thaegan's finger was never cut off in episode 23.

The music in the dub was just reused from another anime that Ocean worked on. Talk about lazy.

Aaand, congrats! You're the first normal user to gain 'Del Citizen' status~!
« Last Edit: January 22, 2013, 03:26:14 AM by DQA »

Cass

• Del Citizen
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2013, 05:45:50 AM »
Oh, dear. It does seem like this topic is turning into a dub bashing thread. XD Though I do think that'd be a neat topic idea, comparing the changes the dub made from the original.

Oh, I hadn't noticed that. They probably didn't want to seem TOO violent. I mean, they were very intent on targeting the anime towards 7 year olds.

Also, a really bizarre one happened in episode 1. You know how after Lief escapes the grey guards, it depicts Del Castle and Fallow/The Shadow Lord? For some reason, they shifted this scene forward a bit, and cut out the shot of Del Castle. It's like they thought it was some big mystery that the Shadow Lord occupied the castle, or something. The editing also looks pretty shoddy, just fading out of one scene awkwardly into the next.

Oh, how exciting! Hopefully, someday, there will be others. ;o;

Bish Bash Bosh!

DQA

• Toran Citizen
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2013, 07:26:53 AM »
It seems I always tend to get off topic in these threads.

Even though it's aimed at young children, they could have left SOMETHING untouched. But no, they butcher the music, voices, animation and anime storyline.

Oh, I didn't notice that at all in episode one. I'll definitely take a look a bit later.

Yes, someday... someday...

Cass

• Del Citizen
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2013, 08:14:51 PM »
I think the only reason the music was butchered was because it would've been cheaper just to reuse their own music than to license it. I wonder, though - could it have passed with the original music, but still the same voice actors? In the end, I'm wondering if we will ever see another instalment to the Deltora series, either by Emily Rodda or some other adaptation. Who knows - don't most series have revivals in a couple of decades?

Oh, to not completely abandon the original topic idea, have you any clue about the Deltora Quest Card Game? I find it intriguing that there's so little information about it. Supposedly, the intermissions of the anime have something to do with it, but I don't really understand it.
Bish Bash Bosh!

DQA

• Toran Citizen
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2013, 08:52:46 PM »
If they had the license to the original music, it would no doubt be better. But honestly, nothing can fix that dub in it's current state.

Yeah, there's a trading card game with characters from the anime. There was some advertising about it in the video game too. I believe it was just to grab a quick, easy sum of money. It's forbidden to export the cards outside of Japan though, which is probably why there's barely any information about it in English.

Cass

• Del Citizen
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2013, 09:02:13 PM »
It's interesting, because the Latin American dub managed to get licenses to the music. I daresay the voices are also of a better standard (but I don't speak Spanish, so I can't be sure). Ahh, it's a shame most of the European dubs came from the English version, meaning the music is as dour. It seems as though the Canadian dub is the only one that persisted in using under experienced voice actors.

Forbidden? Is there any particular reason why? True, it does seem to be a mere 'bagging on success' scheme.
Bish Bash Bosh!